The difference between telling employees they are the most important asset and showing them, comes down to the quality of internal communication – and the understanding that communication involves everything that is said and done in an organisation.
DevCom’s approach to internal communication is built on the importance of context. Too often, leaders in organisations disregard the power of context and seem to believe that they can communicate on an events-only basis: when something big happens, or when we have all the answers, we will let staff know.
What leaders fail to understand is that the countless small actions and utterances between the big events can create tremendous distance between them and their most important stakeholders. When the big announcement is made, employees are not nearly in the same place from where the communication originates. Moreover, there is no quick and easy way to catch up – employees have to go through the same process to reach the high place where leadership lives. Leaders who fail to create context can go only one way: down.
DevCom’s internal communication services:
- Communication audit, with a specific focus on context, ie, factoring in risks and circumstantial information that will have an influence on your communication success, both inside and outside your organisation.
- Compile a strategic communication scorecard for the organisation, based on the audit results.
- Agree with the client strategic objectives.
- Conceptualise and, where needed, implement the internal communication strategy.
- Conduct a follow-up audit to determine how the strategy has shifted the scorecard.